Okay guys, usually I keep my recipes under the “EAT” menu but I am SOO excited about this current recipe I developed! I just had to share it all over. 🙂
These tortillas are GRAIN-FREE!! Confession: I didn’t think it was actually possible to do this. I really wasn’t actually trying to discover it, except every paleo-type “wrap” or “flatbread” I’ve found online has required either eggs or full-fat coconut milk, or a strange ratio of starch to liquid, and I was so tired of it. I do occasionally have some gluten, and don’t eliminate it entirely from my family’s diet (as you can see from some of the recipes I post on here), but with autoimmune issues and joint pain, I really try to stay away from gluten, and sometimes limit my grain intake throughout the day when I’m having a particularly painful flare-up. I’ve tried different recipes because I’m Mexican and miss me some authentic flour tortillas! And honestly the ones that require thick coconut milk make me nauseous, or the ones that have such thin batter come out like crepes…and don’t get me started on the eggy ones!
This recipe is so simple, and it makes maybe 3-4 servings. It requires NO rolling because the mixture is a thick batter that you pour onto a hot skillet, and it is NOT like a pancake. No – somehow, magically, it comes out as a tortilla and it is so like a regular wheat tortilla in consistency and flavor that it is almost unreal! If undercooked, it will be very gooey (not a bad thing) but will be more firm the longer you let it brown. It is flexible and soft inside, and makes wonderful quesadillas. For those of us who are staying away from gluten or grains, this is so like the real deal its not even funny. 😀 My husband Matt even loved them! Which is a huge deal because he doesn’t go for many of my kitchen experiments haha. It does require Almond flour and Tapioca flour, but I truly believe these are real staples in a GF kitchen. Tapioca flour (or starch, same thing) is great for that flexible texture that many GF bread lacks, and makes great things like Brazilian Cheese Bread. And almond flour is a wonderful way to add some nutrition and moisture to almost any baked good. Okay on to the recipe!
3-Ingredient Grain-Free “Flour” Tortillas
- 1 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 Cup Blanched Almond Flour (not almond meal – my fav is the costco Kirkland brand)
- 1 Cup Tapioca Flour/Tapioca Starch (I love Anthony’s brand)
*salt to taste (I used Himalayan Pink Sea Salt – maybe 1/4 teaspoon)
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend on high until no lumps are present.
- Pour onto a PAM-sprayed (or oiled or buttered) hot non-stick skillet set to medium-high heat and spread the batter around in a circle until you have it as thin as you can get it. It won’t be too thin, but just spread it as much as possible, otherwise your tortilla will be more of a thicker flatbread. Feel free to experiment!
- Wait until bubbles form and it gets browned a bit (or more browned if you prefer!) and then flip.
- Remove from heat when cooked through on both sides and slather with butter. 😉
Hope you enjoy! <3